The Genesee Register established in 1828 was the first newspaper started in Warsaw and Wyoming County. It continued only six months.
Warsaw Sentinel started in 1830 and continued until the close of 1831 when it merged with the Republican Advocate of Batavia.
The American Citizen, an anti-slavery weekly started publication in Warsaw in June 1836 by the Genesee County Anti-slavery Society [before Wyoming County separated from Genesee County]. After the first year of publication by Andrew Young, it was moved to Perry.
The Western New Yorker commenced publication in Perry early in 1841 but was moved to Warsaw later in the year after Warsaw had been made county seat of the newly formed Wyoming County.
The Wyoming Republican began publication in Warsaw in 1844 and continued until March 1847.
The Wyoming County Mirror started in Warsaw in March 1848 and was merged with the Western New Yorker in October 1864.
The Wyoming Democrat commenced publication in Warsaw in March 1863. Its name was changed to Wyoming County Democrat Review in 1883. It continued publication in 1890 but how much later has not been ascertained.
Masonic Tidings, a semi-monthly newspaper was started in 1865 but was moved to Suspension Bridge in 1870.
Wyoming County Times was started in Arcade as the Arcade Times. After it was moved to Warsaw in 1876, its name was changed to the Wyoming County Times. It was sold to Levi A. Cass of Warsaw, publisher of the Western New Yorker in 1926 and by his son Aldrich Cass, to the Sanders Publications of Geneseo in 1967.
The Warsaw Sentinel, a no license newspaper, was first issued in Warsaw December 25, 1890 and continued until the year 1892.
The Wyoming County Star, a fairly recent weekly had a very short existence.
Excerpted from 125th Anniversary Celebration, Warsaw, New York, 1968.
Harwood A. Dudley was born at Union Village, Washington County, N.Y., April 5, 1825. He moved with his father to Perry in 1831. In 1848, he came to Warsaw and engaged as foreman in the printing office of the Wyoming County Mirror. Subsequently, he became a joint proprietor. Afterwards, he sold his interest in the Mirror and bought the Western New Yorker establishment. After a few years as the sole proprietor of the Mirror which merged with the New Yorker in 1864, the New Yorker was published by William H. Merrill and Dudley under the name "Dudley and Merrill."
Dudley held several offices including Loan Commissioner, Clerk of the Board of Supervisors and Secretary of the Wyoming Agricultural Society for many years. In 1868, he was elected County Treasurer. As a member of the Presbyterian Church, he was a friend and supporter of the various benevolent and Christian enterprises of the day.
He was a member of the first Company raised in Warsaw to suppress the rebellion and was elected Lieutenant. After his return from the army, he was appointed Deputy Provost Marshall for this District. He married Sarah Jane Hogarth of Geneva. Together they had six children, most of whom died at birth or during adolescence.