The National Register
of Historic Places Tour
The core of Warsaw's historic buildings lies at the intersection of Main
and Court Streets, the Monument Circle Historical District. This
district reflects the prosperity of Warsaw at 1900. This prosperity came
from two sources: Warsaw's position as the county seat and the salt industry
and its aftermath. Warsaw became the county seat after the separation of
Wyoming and Genesee counties in 1841.
The following group is a sampling of the structures located in the Monument
Circle Historical District. To view the complete listing, click
Monument Circle Historical District Tour
(Click images for details)
County Government Center
This building complex is the physical reflection of Warsaw's position
as the seat of Wyoming County. There have been major renovations to the building in
the last year, adapting the existing Colonial Revival building to new office
use. The small Greek Revival-influenced entryway to the south end of the
building is noteworthy for its wooden detailing. This building now adjoins
a new court facility, constructed in 1998-1999. In turn, it is joined to
a Public Safety building, constructed in 1996. An attempt was made to repeat
the columns of the Colonial Revival style that was characteristic of the original
East Court Street
The houses along East Court Street are examples of early twentieth century
architecture. Most are homes with Colonial Revival style features.
38 Park Street
Built in 1913 for Charles Ketchum, President of the Warsaw Elevator
Company. It is a fine example of Georgian Revival architecture giving the appearance of
for a look at Park Street in about 1869 and 1914.
46 Park Street
Built about 1870 for Reverend Joseph E. Nassau, the minister at the Warsaw
Presbyterian Church, it is a brick Italianate style house.
58 Park Street
Owned by Harwood A. Dudley, publisher of the local newspaper, The
Western New Yorker, this is a restrained Italian villa made of brick
with a matching, wooden carriage house.
for a listing of Warsaw's newspapers.
There are four other buildings on the National Register of Historic Places within the
Village of Warsaw.
130 North Main Street,
Warsaw Public Library
The Warsaw Public Library at 130 North Main Street houses an autographed
copy of the History of Woman Suffrage by Susan B. Anthony presented by
Ms. Anthony to the Women of Warsaw for their devoted service to the cause. Built in 1904, the library building was dedicated in 1906.
62 West Buffalo Street, Trinity
This Episcopal Church was built between 1853 and 1854. The unknown builder
closely followed published plans of architect Richard Upjohn. Exterior featurs include board and batten sheathing, lancet windows and pointed arch doorways. The square
tower is topped with a hexagonal pointed spire.
15 Perry Avenue, Seth M. Gates
Architecturally, this is one of the first frame buildings still standing
in Warsaw. The windows are 9 over 9 with much of the original glass. The
present front entry was added to the building in the early 19th century
and is an example of Greek Revival detailing. The North entry door was
probably the original entry, an example of New England Federal style architectural
This home also has a very interesting history in the community. The
first resident was Horace Hollister for whom the house was built in 1824.
Hollister was a carriage maker. In 1844, Seth Gates purchased the house.
After the Gates family, the house was the site of the county's first kindergarten
in 1894. It also was an industrial training school and was the site of
the community food preservation and distribution efforts during the Depression
of the 1930s. It now serves as the museum for the Warsaw Historical Society.
Click here for a more detailed history.
230 West Buffalo Street,
One structure not on the Historic Register but particularly noteworthy
and eligible for listing is "The Elms". The home was built for Wolcott J.
Humphrey and remains in the Humphrey family. Located at 230
West Buffalo Street, the estate was designed by Andrew J. Warner of Rochester.
The home retains its original character as a Queen Anne style mansion.
Prior to construction in 1884, the Clare Place Seminary, a boarding school for girls
run by Madame Broughton, existed at the location.
To view other homes nominated
for listing on the State and National Registers click ELIGIBLE